Korean summer is more than just hot
People often describe Korea as a country with four distinct seasons. I agree, but summer is the one season I find difficult to romanticize.
The problem is not simply the temperature. It is the combination of heat, heavy humidity and monsoon rain that changes how I commute, sleep, dress, walk and plan even ordinary days. If you are visiting for the first time, the humidity will probably surprise you more than the number on the thermometer.
Quick facts
- Jangma (monsoon): usually late June to late July around Seoul
- Tropical night (yeoldaeya): temperature stays at or above 25°C overnight
- Boknal: the three hottest days, when Koreans eat samgyetang
- Plan outdoor sightseeing for morning or early evening
How humidity changes everyday life
Heavy humidity makes the air feel close, and even a short walk can leave me tired. My impression of summer comes not from one unusually hot day but from the way heat and moisture settle into daily life for weeks. In spring and autumn, going outside feels natural. In summer, I think about shade, walking time and where I can cool down before I even leave the house. A commute, a meeting or a trip across town can feel tiring before it begins.
The burden shows up in small routines. My clothes stay damp after I stop sweating. Laundry takes forever to dry indoors. Simple plans need air conditioning, shade, water and breaks built into them. Daily life goes on, but I adjust my routes, spend more time indoors and wait for the worst of the afternoon to pass.
Jangma, the monsoon season
Before the real heat comes the rain. Jangma (장마), the summer monsoon, usually reaches the Seoul area in late June and hangs around until late July. It doesn't rain every minute. It pours for an hour, stops, turns the air into a sauna, and then pours again. Umbrellas sell out at convenience stores, subway stairs get slippery, and everyone's shoes are wet by lunchtime.
Some years the rain is heavy enough to flood low roads and underpasses, so it's worth checking the weather every morning instead of trusting the forecast from two days ago.
Tropical nights
Once the monsoon lifts, August brings what Koreans call yeoldaeya (열대야), tropical nights. Officially that means the temperature doesn't drop below 25°C overnight. In practice it means lying awake with the air conditioner on a timer, arguing with yourself about whether to turn it back on.
On those nights a lot of Seoul simply goes outside. The Han River parks fill up after dark with people on picnic mats, delivery fried chicken, cans of beer and little portable fans. It's one of the few summer scenes I genuinely love.
How Koreans cope
We have a whole toolkit. Handheld fans hang from lanyards. Parasols, once mostly carried by older women, now show up in plenty of men's hands too. Cooling arm sleeves, frozen bottles of water, and a mental map of every air-conditioned bank lobby and convenience store along the route.
Then there is the food. Cold noodles like naengmyeon and kongguksu. Towers of shaved-ice bingsu in every café. And, strangely, a steaming bowl of samgyetang, ginseng chicken soup, on the three boknal days that mark the hottest stretch of the year. The idea is iyeol chiyeol (이열치열), fighting heat with heat. I can't promise it works, but the samgyetang places have long lines anyway.
What visitors should be prepared for
When I describe Korean summer to visitors, I tell them to prepare for it rather than romanticize it.
- Plan outdoor sightseeing for the morning or early evening, and save museums, markets and cafés for the middle of the day.
- Carry water and a small umbrella at all times. It will either rain or blaze, sometimes within the same hour.
- Wear light, quick-drying clothes and shoes that can handle a puddle.
- Expect it to feel hotter than the number on your weather app.
Why I start waiting for autumn early
I begin waiting for autumn before summer has fully ended. Cooler air makes walking easier, clear days pull me outside, and the relief from humidity changes familiar places. Korea's four-season rhythm feels like a gift again, not because every season is comfortable, but because the difficult one has finally loosened its hold. If you want to know what that relief looks like, it looks a lot like the mountains in October, which I wrote about in Korean Hiking Culture.
More from this blog
- Korean Hiking Culture: Why Koreans Dress Like They're Climbing Everest
- Why Koreans Leave Their Rice Bowls on the Table
Top photo: 6:30 on a July morning in Gapyeong, northeast of Seoul, with the mist still sitting in the valleys. Photo: A Korean's Take

Comments